Fifteen facts you probably never knew about vitamin D and sunlight exposure.
(Compiled by Mike
Adams, based on an interview with Dr. Michael Holick, author, The UV Advantage)
Vitamin D prevents osteoporosis, depression, prostate cancer, breast cancer, and even effects diabetes and obesity.
Vitamin D is perhaps the single most underrated nutrient in the world of nutrition. That's probably because it's free: your
body makes it when sunlight touches your skin. Drug companies can't sell you sunlight, so there's no promotion of its health benefits. Truth is, most people don't know the real story on vitamin D and health. So here's an overview taken from an interview
between Mike Adams and Dr. Michael Holick.
- Vitamin D is produced by your skin in response to exposure to ultraviolet radiation from natural sunlight.
- The healing rays of natural sunlight (that generate vitamin D in your skin) cannot penetrate glass. So you don't
generate vitamin D when sitting in your car or home.
- It is nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D
from your diet. Sunlight exposure is the only reliable way to generate vitamin D in your own body.
- A person would
have to drink ten tall glasses of vitamin D fortified milk each day just to get minimum levels of vitamin D into their diet.
- The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the sun in order to generate vitamin D. Canada,
the UK and most U.S. states are far from the equator.
- People with dark skin pigmentation may need 20 - 30 times as
much exposure to sunlight as fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of vitamin D. That's why prostate cancer is epidemic among black men -- it's a simple, but widespread, sunlight deficiency.
- Sufficient levels of vitamin
D are crucial for calcium absorption in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.
- Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight: it takes months of vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body's bones and nervous system.
- Even weak sunscreens (SPF=8) block your body's ability to generate
vitamin D by 95%. This is how sunscreen products actually cause disease -- by creating a critical vitamin deficiency in the body.
- It is impossible to generate too much vitamin D in your
body from sunlight exposure: your body will self-regulate and only generate what it needs.
- If it hurts to press firmly
on your sternum, you may be suffering from chronic vitamin D deficiency right now.
- Vitamin D is "activated"
in your body by your kidneys and liver before it can be used.
- Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair
your body's ability to activate circulating vitamin D.
- The sunscreen industry doesn't want you to know that your
body actually needs sunlight exposure because that realization would mean lower sales of sunscreen products.
though vitamin D is one of the most powerful healing chemicals in your body, your body makes it absolutely free. No prescription
On the issue of sunlight exposure, by the way, it turns out that super antioxidants greatly boost your
body's ability to handle sunlight without burning. Astaxanthin is one of the most powerful "internal sunscreens" and can allow you to stay under the sun twice as long without
burning. Other powerful antioxidants with this ability include the superfruits like Acai, Pomegranates (POM Wonderful juice),
Diseases and conditions cause by vitamin D deficiency:
- Osteoporosis is commonly caused
by a lack of vitamin D, which greatly impairs calcium absorption.
- Sufficient vitamin D prevents prostate cancer,
breast cancer, ovarian cancer, depression, colon cancer and schizophrenia.
- "Rickets" is the name of a bone-wasting disease caused by vitamin D deficiency.
- Vitamin D deficiency
may exacerbate type 2 diabetes and impair insulin production in the pancreas.
- Obesity impairs vitamin D utilization in the body, meaning obese
people need twice as much vitamin D.
- Vitamin D is used around the world to treat Psoriasis.
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Seasonal Affective Disorder is caused by a melatonin imbalance initiated by lack of exposure
- Chronic vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia because its symptoms are so similar:
muscle weakness, aches and pains.
- Your risk of developing serious diseases like diabetes and cancer is reduced 50% - 80% through simple, sensible exposure to natural sunlight 2-3 times each week.
- Infants who receive
vitamin D supplementation (2000 units daily) have an 80% reduced risk of developing type 1 diabetes over the next twenty years.
Shocking Vitamin D deficiency statistics:
- 32% of doctors and med school students are vitamin D deficient.
- 40% of the U.S.
population is vitamin D deficient.
- 42% of African American women of childbearing age are deficient in vitamin D.
- 48% of young girls (9-11 years old) are vitamin D deficient.
- Up to 60% of all hospital patients are vitamin
- 76% of pregnant mothers are severely vitamin D deficient, causing widespread vitamin D deficiencies in their unborn children, which predisposes them to type 1 diabetes, arthritis, multiple sclerosis and schizophrenia later
in life. 81% of the children born to these mothers were deficient.
- Up to 80% of nursing home patients are vitamin
What you can do:
Sensible exposure to natural sunlight is the simplest, easiest and yet one of the most important
strategies for improving your health. I urge you to read the book, "The UV Advantage" by Dr. Michael Holick to get
the full story on natural sunlight. You can find this book at most local bookstores or through BN.com, Amazon.com, etc. Note:
This is not a paid endorsement or an affiliate link. I recommend it because of its great importance in preventing chronic disease and enhancing health without drugs or surgery. This may be the single most important book on health you ever
If more people understood this information, we could drastically reduce the rates of chronic disease in this
country and around the world. Sunlight exposure is truly one of the most powerful healing therapies in the world, far surpassing
the best efforts of today's so-called "advanced medicine." There is no drug, no surgical procedure, and no high-tech
procedure that comes even close to the astonishing healing power of natural sunlight.
And you can get it free of charge.
That's why nobody's promoting it, of course.
Like this article? Receive more Health
Ranger articles as they're published
with a FREE subscription to the NaturalNews email